Temple University Masters in Journalism
August 2012- December 2013 GPA: 3.68
Delaware Valley College Instructional I Certification in Secondary Education
Teacher Certification Program
September 2007-June 2008 GPA: 3.8
University of Utah B.A. in English Literature
January 2003 – August 2007 GPA: 3.4
Building Salt Lake June 2014- Present
- Founder, editor-in-chief and owner of Building Salt Lake, a news blog dedicated to covering urban development in Salt Lake City.
The Philadelphia Public School Notebook September 2013- December 2013.
- Wrote articles, web posts and photographed news events for The Notebook blog at thenotebook.org and the quarterly print editions.
Philadelphia Neighborhoods July 2013-August 2013
- Reported for the TU South Africa feature for Philadelphia Neighborhoods. I produced two published pieces and was responsible for maintaining the Twitter Account for the TU South Africa team. Our team won the 2013 EPPY award for “Best Use of Social Media for News Services with under 1 million unique monthly visitors.”
Next City January 2013- May 2013.
- Wrote articles and posts for the daily content section at Nextcity.org.
Other Work Experience:
School District of Philadelphia
Kensington Creative and Performing Arts September 2008- June 2012.
- Taught English IV (12th grade) English II (10th grade) and Journalism
- Sophomore Class Sponsor, Advisor of Student Newspaper, Yearbook Advisor, GSA Advisor, and National Academic League Coach.
Boys and Girls Club of Midvale, Midvale UT
Interim Teen Program Director March 2007- August 2007
- Oversaw the Midvale Teen Center, supervised after school aides and club programming.
- Responsible for writing club reports, monthly reports and tracking attendance, phone calls to parents, discipline, was the Latino community liaison, and other administrative duties.
- Facilitated Boys and Girls Club National Educational Programs for Teen Program.
- Responsible for drafting reports, gathering data used for administrative needs.
Youth Support Staff August 2004- June 2006
- Organized activities for Parents Anonymous, a support group for Latino families.
- Organized and oversaw the Torch Club council, field trips, service projects, and club newsletter.
- Planned and implemented two week tracks and activities that cover health, education, fitness, life skills, etc. for youth ages 5-12.
- Worked as a tutor and instructor in the Adult Educational programs offered at the Boys and Girls Club.
Awards and Recognitions:
- Presenter at the 2013 Temple Global Conference.
- Part of the team that was the EPPY 2013 winner for “Best Use of Social Media for News Services with under 1 million unique monthly visitors” category.
- Fluent in Spanish, proficient in Audible, iMovie, Finalcut Pro, Garageband, Microsoft Office Suite, Quark X-press, WordPress, and Adobe Indesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
- Board member and volunteer for Equality Justice Coalition.
- Creator and sole contributor of theslcblog.org a recently launched urban development blog.